Choosing the right clothing can be difficult when you’re overweight. If you don’t do it correctly, it could make your body look larger than it is and not in a good way.
In this article, we will discuss how to dress when you are overweight. We have also compiled a list of tell-tale signs that might indicate the outfit isn’t working for your body type so hopefully, you can avoid these mistakes.
In this article, we also discuss these topics well as well.
- How To Dress For Summer When You Are Overweight
- How To Dress When You Are Overweight Man
- How To Dress Professionally When You Are Overweight
- How To Dress Stylish When You Are Overweight
How To Dress When You Are Overweight
The first thing to consider is the length of your pants. Pants that are too short can make you look shorter and wider than you are so try going for slimmer cut pants.
If there’s no way an ankle grazer will work, aim for bootcut or straight leg jeans over flares since they attract less attention to the width of your legs.
If you feel like showing off some skin, go with fitted dresses instead of loose ones which could make it appear as though there is more body hiding under them.
A-line skirts fall right below the knees but still offer plenty of coverage while flattering curves at the same time; plus, this style looks good on all figures (round, curvy or thin). Try wearing solid colors over busy prints for the same reason.
When it comes to shoes, try not to go too flimsy because they can make you look larger than you are. You want your legs to appear longer so avoid anything that won’t keep them in proportion with your upper body platforms should be saved for flat sandals or wedges instead of stilettos which would only draw more attention up towards the waistline.
If heels are a must-have but tend to feel uncomfortable, aim for thicker heel styles since they have better support and will therefore help create better posture at the same time.
One last piece of advice is choosing looser tops even if you aren’t overweight; this may seem counterintuitive but there’s a good reason for it. If the fabric is clingy, it will only draw attention down towards your waistline and emphasize those problem areas you’re trying so hard to conceal.
A looser top that drapes over these spots instead of clinging them helps create a more balanced silhouette that looks much better on everyone regardless of their size.
How To Dress For Summer When You Are Overweight
In the summer you must dress in a comfortable and cool way, especially if you’re overweight. In this article, we examine how to dress for summer when you are overweight, but always keeping the elements of good style.
Pants or skirts? When it’s very hot outside, pants tend to make people look much larger than they already are. If you have large legs and a small upper body, don’t wear tight-fitting pants as they will make your silhouette even wider instead of slenderizing it.
And avoid those big pockets because they’ll only accentuate your shape. Unless you want to look heavier, then by all means go ahead and wear those baggy cargo pants à la MC.
In the summertime, if you want to wear pants then choose a light fabric, such as linen or cotton. Linen is perfect because it has a lot of texture and veins which can add visual interest to your legs when they’re seen from far away.
If you insist on wearing pants in the summer, make sure your upper body is fitted enough so that people won’t judge you by how wide your legs look together with the pants you are wearing.
A skirt will always be more flattering for plus-sized ladies because it will never accentuate fat legs. A pencil skirt with a small slit in the back is ideal since it’s fitted up top but flares out nicely at the hips thanks to its shape.
There are also nice A-line skirts which flatter most figures and make you look like a real woman. A circle skirt with an elastic waistband is also nice because it gives more volume to your upper body without being tight around the hips.
In any case, both skirts and pants should never be skin-tight. If they are, then either wear a T-shirt or top that requires a bra underneath or go for a fitted dress with a boat neckline which will hide the back of your bra.
When wearing tops in the summer, keep away from anything too light since you want to cover up as much skin as possible when wearing them in order not to expose yourself too much in public.
You can still wear white tops but make sure they’re made of thicker fabric such as cotton voile, cotton/linen blend, or silk. For short sleeves, go for a thicker fabric like a jersey.
But if it’s the last days of summer and you want to wear something light like chiffon or georgette, make sure your arms are toned enough so that people will not judge you by the flabby skin hanging out.
When wearing t-shirts in the summer, avoid those made of thin fabrics as they’ll reveal your bra every time someone looks at you.
Go instead for t-shirts made of thicker fabrics such as cotton/polyester or cotton/modal blends which will give you much more coverage even when worn over other garments such as tops and tanks without looking any tighter than they should be.
When choosing a top, make sure it’s fitted enough in your bust. If you want to wear something tight up top with baggy pants, then wear a wide belt or scarf around your waist to draw attention away from the breasts and towards the hips.
Read Also:- 7 Best Swimsuit To Hide Tummy [Buying Guide]
If you’re wearing shorts in the summer, make sure they aren’t skin-tight. Instead, choose slightly flared ones that are looser in the hip area but fitted down below.
Don’t go overboard with bright colors as they’ll make you look larger than you already are since bright colors tend to highlight all those little bumps and bulges which will be accentuated if your clothes don’t fit properly.
As for shirts, avoid very light fabrics such as cotton voile since these will reveal your bra every time you lift your arms.
Instead choose either silk, cotton/polyester, or cotton/modal blends in medium colors such as cream, beige or gray which will be more flattering for medium skin tones and won’t reveal the back of your bra when lifted (unless there’s a gap between the top of your shirt and where it meets your bra).
If you want to wear something tight up top with baggy pants, then wear a wide belt or scarf around your waist to draw attention away from the breasts and towards the hips.
Read Also:- Top 7 Best Swimsuits For Moms [Buying Guide]
One last tip: Even if all this may sound very complicated at first since there are so many issues one must keep in mind while dressing themselves during hot weather, once it becomes a habit after some time, it won’t be anything other than second nature for you.
How To Dress When You Are Overweight Man?
Here are 12 tips for how to dress professionally when you are overweight & how to dress stylish when you are overweight.
- Stay away from bright colors. Darker colors will help hide your extra pounds more than bright ones will. Some other options include neutrals like gray and navy blue which is very slimming too because they recede visually making your figure appear smaller. Wear darker pants instead of lighter ones, but make sure the color is not too dark.
- Wear shiny, light colors that reflect the light and draw attention away from your body; this will help you look slimmer. This is a no-brainer for women although it works just as well for men too! Metallic dress shirts in silver or gold are great choices that can slim down any figure.
- Keep patterns to a minimum if you’re on the chubby side since they tend to accentuate your size rather than hide it. So keep them small, subtle, and limited in number so you don’t have an overwhelmingly busy outfit. You want to stand out but still look casual when wearing patterned clothes so choose wisely when putting together your outfit.
- If you’re overweight, you shouldn’t be wearing tight clothes. Tight clothes accentuate parts of your body that you don’t want to draw attention to, like love handles or a belly that’s starting to spill over the top of your pants.
Be mindful of what clothing looks good on you and what doesn’t. You will have more luck choosing outfits that look flattering on you if you wear them as opposed to just buying them because they are stylish.
- Slacks are great for men who are overweight as long as they fit properly around the waist. Wear slacks with a comfortable waistband instead of one that is too tight or uncomfortable so it cuts into your skin and makes bulges on either side.
- If you do wear a button-down shirt, leave the top button undone. This helps distract people from looking at your stomach and will also help keep you cool. Just be sure to wear a fitted undershirt so that it doesn’t make you look like you have flabby chest areas as well as a flabby belly.
- If you’re overweight, don’t wear extremely baggy clothes unless they are dressy sweatshirts or pants, which work great with sweatpants worn underneath them for a comfortable yet put-together look.
Loose-fitting clothes tend to exaggerate the size of your body instead of slimming it down.
They run the risk of hiding who you really are and what shape your body is in, making it hard for people to see you like the attractive man that you are.
- Don’t wear clothes that are too tight around your waist. They will cling to your belly or any other body parts that you’d like to hide, which is something you don’t want when trying to dress so as not to look fat. Instead, wear pants with simple flat fronts and light colors.
The same goes for button-down shirts; tuck them in so they fit comfortably at your waist rather than stretched taut across it.
- Show off your shoulders by wearing nice fitted polo shirts (with a lower neckline). Polo shirts are very slimming because they’re cut close to the body and hug right areas without attracting attention to the wrong ones.
10 . Tying a shirt around your waist is an easy way to draw the eye upward and away from any problem areas, so try wearing a simple crew-neck or v-neck t-shirt with a pair of jeans for an effortlessly stylish outfit. V-necks tend to slim down your face while widening your shoulders so they’re also great if you have a rounder face shape.
- When in doubt, wear dark-colored jeans that fit well and tapered dress shoes that don’t look baggy when paired with them. Try not to run in circles in front of mirrors trying every combination of clothes imaginable before going out because it’ll either make you late or give you tons of anxiety.
Instead, take a few minutes to look in the mirror and decide whether or not you like what you see. If not, change around your outfit until you find something that looks comfortable and stylish on your body type.
- Finally, just relax and be yourself. You shouldn’t walk on eggshells when putting together an outfit because it’ll stifle who you are as a person.
Be yourself always but don’t wear clothes that show off every bump and curve on your body unless you’re comfortable with them due to self-confidence issues otherwise people will constantly notice how uncomfortable you look rather than seeing past your weight.
In this article, we discussed how to dress when you are overweight & how certain clothing pieces can make people look larger than they are if not worn correctly.
We also shared tell-tale signs that might indicate an outfit isn’t working for your body type as well as some styling tips such as choosing slimmer cut pants and wearing solid colors over busy prints among others.
The main thing to remember when dressing in larger sizes is to choose looser fits over tight ones. This helps create a more balanced silhouette that looks better on everyone no matter what their size is.